These tasty egg rolls are great for a few reasons. They are easy to make, filling, packed with veggies, a healthier baked version of fried egg rolls, and freeze really well. They’d be a perfect appetizer for a Super Bowl party or eat a few more for a tasty meal. The dip will only keep for about a day but ranch is a good substitute if you want something quick after reheating.
Cantina Egg Rolls with Southwestern Avocado Sauce
Egg Roll Ingredients:
- 1 package of egg roll wrappers (typically 15 wrappers per package)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 block frozen spinach, thawed and wrung out using cheesecloth so it’s very dry
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1/2 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Spray cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 400º. Mix all ingredients (except wrappers) in a bowl until combined. Make sure spinach has been thoroughly drained before mixing. You can do this by thawing in a microwave, putting into cheesecloth or a floursack cloth, and wringing out over the sink.
- Prepare an egg roll wrapper by placing on counter with a point facing towards you (diamond shaped, not square). Place 1/4 cup of filling mixture into the middle of the egg roll wrapper. Wet the edges the furthest away from you with water. Fold bottom flap up, then fold side flaps in, and roll upwards. Push upper flap into roll to seal. Repeat until all egg rolls are sealed. (See silly diagram below.)
- Place all rolls on a cookie sheet and spritz the tops with cooking oil. Bake for 18-20 minutes, flipping halfway. Spritz the other side of the rolls once flipped. Let cool a bit before eating as the filling will be very hot.
Southwestern Avocado Sauce
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cilantro
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Serve with egg rolls.