Chicken sausage is an overlooked yet delicious meat that is lean, easy to cook, and flavorful! This hearty soup is packed with veggies while also being filling due to the chicken sausage and beans. The creamy poached egg adds beautiful color and another layer of flavor. It can easily be omitted if poaching eggs isn’t in your skill set! This recipe makes about 8 bowls.
Hearty Tuscan Soup with Creamy Poached Egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups broth/water with bouillon
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 15 oz canned cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 4 fully-cooked chicken sausage links (favorites are Al Fresco Roasted Pepper & Asiago OR Johnsonville Three Cheese Italian Style), sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 head of kale, ribs removed and chopped (about 3 cups)
- Salt & pepper to taste (I used about 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper)
- 8 Eggs
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Balsamic vinegar to garnish
- Warm olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and carrots, seasoning with salt & pepper. Cook until onion is soft & translucent. Add garlic and sauté for a few more minutes, until fragrant.
- Add broth/water with bouillon to deglaze and get brown bits off the bottom of pan. Add tomatoes, rinsed beans, sliced sausage, seasoning, pepper flakes, and salt/pepper. Bring to simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped kale. Cook for additional 5 minutes until kale is bright green and wilted. Keep soup warm until eggs are cooked.
- Meanwhile, fill a small sauce pan with water. Add 1 tsp vinegar and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer. Crack egg into a small heat-safe dish. Take a spoon and stir water briskly so it swirls. Pour egg into swirling water and cover with lid. Let cook ~3 minutes and gently remove to a paper towel to drain. (Swirling water keeps egg compact and stops it from “growing legs.”)
- Taste and adjust seasoning in soup if needed. Ladle into individual bowls and place poached egg on top. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.